Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Yes, I am a woman. No, I do not consider myself an "issue" in ministry or the church.

Last weekend I sat in the audience when my new friend became the first woman to preach at her church. I was there to give her a big hug and cheer her on. She told me she was nervous, and little comments she used in her talk gave hint that she was still a bit uncertain about her permission to do this as a woman. I had mixed emotions. I felt joy as she naturally shared from her faith experience and heart for God, but also was a little concerned about what would happen next. A few months ago at another local church, I had heard that multiple families quit their church after a woman preached. I also recalled the story of Anne Graham Lotz invited to speak to an audience where the men had stood and turned their backs to her in protest while she did so.* Thankfully- that did not happen to my friend and has not happened to me.

Do I believe all women should preach? No, not necessarily. But another question is, do I believe all men should preach? My answer is the same-- no, not necessarily. My response would be the same in both cases. Are they gifted to do so? Has God called them to that place and time?

I am a woman. I believe that God made me intentionally to be who I am as a woman and as a corresponding part of the fullness of the image of God expressed as male and female (Genesis 1:26-27). I refuse, however, to be called an "issue" as is commonly written or spoken about-- as in "the issue of women in ministry" or the "issue of women's role in the church". I am not an "issue". I am one who is striving to follow Jesus' example, use my gifts as God has given them to me (Romans 12, 1 Corinthians 12, Ephesians 4) and to be a full, participating member of the Kingdom of God. I am mindful that I will stand and give account to God (Matthew 12:36 & Romans 14:12) and am striving to be as obedient as I can. I would hope that, if we are followers of Jesus, this is something we would all want for each other. And for clarification, I believe that ministry isn't just for the ordained or those who have churchy titles... it is for all y'all --as God's children live out the moments of each day.

I remember back to the first time I preached. I am thankful for the opportunity provided by my mentor pastor in California who encouraged me to do so.  He told me that since I was a seminary student, I needed to take this step.  I wasn't so sure because I was still working out what it meant that God had called me, or if I could even be qualified as a woman. My religious background was heavily weighted about teaching about Eve being the one who caused Adam to sin, women being silent, and women not being in authority over men. The Bible stories I remember hearing preached or taught as a child and emerging adult seemed to be primarily about male Bible characters. I lacked understanding of the women in the Bible, those who served God, and those who journeyed with Jesus. I lacked the view that all the Bible characters, male and female, served as examples for everyone--not just for those in corresponding genders. This limited view continued as my husband and I attended churches that did not have women pastors or women serving in senior leadership roles who got to sit at the "big table" of discussion and decision making. I got used to checking out church websites before we would visit and find that the staff, elders, and deacons were all males names. Women seemed welcomed to use their gifts but primarily limited to women's ministry, children's ministry, and hospitality (kitchen and food)--sometimes missions and worship--occasionally youth ministry and other areas.

So with the encouragement of my mentor pastor and my husband, I agreed to preach...a leaping penguin moment. It was a Sunday night and I was nervous beyond words. With all the thoughts running through my mind of why I shouldn't or couldn't do what I had agreed to, I decided to take a step of faith to go and see what happened. I had prayed and prepared well. I knew I wasn't trying to be in authority over anyone since I simply wanted to share the overflow of what God had revealed to me in Bible Study and reflection. So when it was my turn during church service that night, I prayed a desperate prayer, swallowed hard, and stood up from my seat to walk forward. Imagine my shock when I felt the Holy Spirit's presence. I don't remember the exact words that flowed out of my mouth, but I remember the message being received by those in attendance and afterwards talked with me about the content.

The intriguing thing about that day was that I remember looking up and seeing a red helium balloon suspended against the backdrop of the white ceiling. It hung there--right over the spot where I stood. I did not realize the rich significance until later. It turns out that the Sunday I first preached was Pentecost Sunday--the day when the Holy Spirit was given to all people (read Acts 1 & 2 for background). Earlier that day, my pastor had used the balloon as a sermon illustration for the children when he explained Jesus had ascended into heaven and the Holy Spirit came to us. Acts 2:1-4 tells of the Holy Spirit filling "all of them". To understand in context, you need to refer to Acts 1:13-15 and discover that there were about 120 believers meeting together--men and "the women" including Mary the mother of Jesus. Peter said that this Holy Spirit moment was like what the prophet Joel had written, God's spirit being poured out on all people--sons, daughters, men and women. (Acts 2:17-18)

My mentor pastor said it wasn't intentional that he chose for me to preach on Pentecost Sunday, but I can tell you that God couldn't have planned a better day or image for this visual learner. Whenever I get scared or nervous about stepping out to share what God has put in my heart (preaching, teaching, facilitating, sharing, talking, writing, etc.) -- I remember the red balloon and that day. It also reminds me of how thankful I am of all who have made a way for me to "go and see" and for all those who do so in the lives of others.

*Note:  Read the comments of Anne Graham Lotz at this link.  http://newsweek.washingtonpost.com/onfaith/guestvoices/2008/09/jesus_calls_women_to_serve_and.html

No comments:

Post a Comment