Thursday, August 15, 2013

Under the Minnesota Sky

We just returned from a quick trip to Minnesota at "Camp Grandpa and Grandma". It was a fun time being with my parents and my brother and his family. It was also a time for my kids to run free, explore, and eat whatever their hearts desired (ANYTHING they asked Grandma for). 

They transformed into "country kids" instantly and set about to catch frogs, pick from the garden, and find creative ways to entertain themselves--like golfing apples from the nearby tree into the lake and smashing garden vegetables with baseball bats (aka- "zucchini smear"). They enjoyed having Grandpa pull them on the tube behind the boat, riding on/driving the 4-wheeler, and taking them on nature walks in the woods and to explore the island out in the lake. 

Oh, and who can forget the zucchini shoot-- the realized potential of massively oversized vegetables in conjunction with high power rifles. I watched my son, Joshua, take his time to scope his shots and send 5 out of 5 rounds through the targets. "That's my boy!" He takes after his mom in his shooting skills! I am glad my children can visit Minnesota and create happy memories. I find joy in watching them thoroughly enjoy themselves in unique ways and granting them space to do so. 

One of my favorite things about being out in the country is the ability to be awed by the night sky. Being able to clearly see the expansive display including the Milky Way is a visual treasure that I keep mentally revisiting. In the Henderson/Las Vegas area where we currently live, most of the stars are washed out due to the bright lights emanating from "The Strip" and the attempt to dazzle 40-50 million tourists annually. 

My husband, Brian, discovered that on the evening of Sunday, Aug 11 there would be prime opportunity to see the annual Perseid Meteor Shower. There was a limited moon that night so the meteor shower would be more clear than usual. We made plans to be outside after 10pm and were blessed that the mosquitoes were not overly pesky. It was a cool night and sweatshirts were welcomed.   

As I stood on the hill overlooking the lake, I let my eyes adjust to the night sky. I enjoyed the moment when we were together and taking time to explore in a new way. I listened to the voices and conversations permeating the darkness. It was nice to be close together and slowing down. I heard my daughter's voice from just beyond my right shoulder, "Wow! I feel so small." I turned and she was gazing up into the expanse of the sky. And we stood there and embraced the moment. While I would normally have rushed for my camera, I found that I was content to "be" fully in the moment and experience it live while surrounded by my family.  

And then it happened. Someone saw the first falling star. There was a giddy excitement and everyone joined in the visual hunt. The star show was spectacular. They shot across the sky from all directions. Some fell fast and quick--others seemed to take longer and leave a larger light trail. Amazing.  

A song that my kids sang in their elementary school choir came to mind. I sung the first line softly but out loud, "Catch a falling star and put it in your pocket, never let it fade away." Anna overheard me and briefly joined in. It was a fleeting moment, but a special one that I will not put in my pocket--but instead treasure in my heart. Anna is almost as tall as me now, but I remember watching her singing it when she was smaller. A neat combination of the years lived being present.  

Catch a falling star and put it in your pocket
Never let it fade away
Catch a falling star and put it in your pocket
Save it for a rainy day


And for some reason, whenever I am outside looking at the stars, I am always reminded of the song by the band Switchfoot titled "Stars". The lyrics make me think and I love the final course (excerpt below). It helps me transcend myself and be awed about how big God really is.  

Everyone, everyone, we feel so lonely
Everyone, yeah, everyone, we feel so empty
When I look at the stars, when I look at the stars
When I look at the stars I feel like myself
When I look at the stars, the stars
I see someone, oh!


I borrowed this photo from someone else's view under the Minnesota sky. I invite you to slowdown, enjoy and wonder. What does it make you think about?     

Photo found on Google images- credit to stlouispark.patch.com

No comments:

Post a Comment