Monday, March 23, 2020

Liturgy of Awareness

Yesterday was Sunday. 

A day of Sabbath rest and a chance to safely get out to wide open spaces at Lake Mead in Boulder City, Nevada (while maintaining proper social distancing as is currently recommended).  



After days and days of remaining at home due to my ongoing compromised immune system, chronic illness, and now Covid-19 -- it was a welcome invitation that I could feel deeply refresh my heart and soul. 

On the drive out with my daughter, Anna, I was overcome with joy and begin to notice small things that I was thankful for. And for some reason it came out in this pattern. 
Dear Lord, For __________________, We give You thanks. 

In the "For" space I simply began to notice things that were happening at the present moment and expressing them out-loud freely and with openness in gentle rhythm and conversation. 

I didn't have to force it or work at it... I simply started to notice what was happening in me and around me. I began expressions from the awareness of what I was currently seeing, touching, tasting, hearing, or smelling. It is a moment of awareness. 
πŸ’­ While following behind my friend, Libby, in her truck loaded with her two kayaks...  
Dear Lord, For friends who have kayaks in their garage and share their use with us, We give You thanks.   

πŸ’­ While gliding on the peaceful waters of Lake Mead...   
Dear Lord, For the gift of Sabbath rest, We give You thanks. 

πŸ’­ While resting upon the still, quiet waters and bathing in the beauty of the moment...
Dear Lord, For the gift of the beauty of Your creationWe give You thanks.


 πŸ’­ While singing the Doxology together in community with my friend as we were slowly paddling back to the beach...
🎢  Praise God from whom all blessings flow
Praise Him all creatures here below
Praise Him above ye heavenly hosts
Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost
Amen  
Dear Lord, For the gift of song with our simple voices and heartsWe give You thanks.

🌀 Today I continue to use the pattern that had come to mind yesterday. 

It continues to be a gentle, open place for me to continue to notice how I am feeling and express that in a way of thankfulness. 
Dear Lord, For sweet people (Tony, Tina, Victor) who help us fix broken sprinkler systems, We give You thanks.  
Dear Lord, For boneless cats who show us how to relax and rest in Your loving care, We give You thanks. 

πŸƒ I continue to not force it or labor at this. It comes as an opening to grace and freedom... 
Simple noticing to what is happening in me and around me...  
Paying attention to what I am seeing, touching, tasting, hearing, smelling, etc. 

Liturgy is a traditional term for a script for a religious service. It is a pattern we often follow and is an invitation for the community to worship together.

I have combined all these things to create what I am calling Liturgy of Awareness --
a simple "formula" or pattern or breath prayer that can easily be recalled and used in ongoing relationship with the Triune God who is near and with me/us. 


πŸ“¬ I offer to you this simple way. In hope that you may have your own experience of becoming aware and expressing them with our God who is with us always and with others who we find we journey alongside. 

And if you would like to post your own places of noticing and awareness, perhaps consider using #LiturgyofAwareness so we can enjoy God's goodness together. 

With Grace and Love, Ellysia


A beautiful acapella version by Anthem Lights featuring Selah. 
I discovered this today as I was writing this blog. 
Another thing to give You thanks for Lord,  
as it helps us continue to sing in community.

Doxology by Anthem Lights Featuring Selah


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this. I like how a lot of people are becoming MORE AWARE of present moments. it's beautiful! (How do I subscribe to your blog? Would love to get email updates once you have posted a new blog.) is that an option?

    ReplyDelete