Friday, August 2, 2013

Extravagance of the Gift of Senses

This morning I clinked my spoon on the side of my mug as I was finishing stirring the cream and sugar in my Kona coffee. It was a delightful sound and surprised me in the quiet of the morning. I had just come downstairs after peaking in on my sleeping children. I had paused at their doors to watch them sleep. It is one of my treasured moments as a mom...their peaceful faces at rest in their beds is a precious sight...the look of their long eyelashes resting on their cheeks.

It dawned on me once again how amazing and extravagant it is that we have been created with senses to enjoy this world. Can you imagine what life would be like if it did not include seeing, tasting, touching, hearing and smelling?*  It seems like I tend to rush so much through life that I don't take the time to truly enjoy the simple yet profound things around me all the time.

But I do want to enjoy life!  I want to remember to turn my eyes to my children and deeply drink in who they are right now. To connect with their eyes when they speak to me and give them my full attention. I want to try to memorize the moment and savour it. I desire to listen and take in the sounds of their voices and phrases they choose to express themselves. I would like to listen with my whole heart and mind--not thinking about what I want to try say in response but to be fully in the moment.  When I kiss them I hope to pause and feel the softness of their cheek on my lips--and when I hug them I want to feel the embrace and have them feel it in return. I want to pet my kitties and pause to enjoy the feel of their warm and soft coats--and capture the rhythm of their purr in the palm of my hand and fingers.  I hope to take a moment to enjoy it when my Brian and I are joking together and being playful with the kids.  To look at my husband's face when we are laughing at something amusing and see his smile appear on his mouth, face and in the twinkle of his eyes.  I want to feel the warmth of his hand when he reaches over to hold my hand as we drive in the car.

I want to look and take in the sights around me all the time--the blue sky, the clouds, the mountains and delight in the sunsets with each being the unique canvas of The Master Artist at the conclusion of each day. I want to pause when I look at the plants I am growing in the garden or the birds as they float in the air. To sniff the freshness and also record the dusty desert that is part of my experience. I want to take time to watch the green hummingbird that flits from my yellow lantana to my purple lavender.  To delight in the orange dragonfly that occasionally appears. I notice if I will be attentive, I can actually hear the sound of the wings of the hummingbird and dragonfly. Amazing that you can hear something that is moving so fast that the eye can't perceive what is actually happening.

I am going to try to smell before I sip or take a bite of my food today and then think about the experience as a whole when it hits my taste buds-- and delight in it. I am blessed to be fed when so many go without in the world today. The coolness of the next glass of water that I draw from the door of my refrigerator will remind me to be thankful and to pray for those who only wish for a clean cup to satisfy their parched lips.  I will pray--and I will continue to do my part to intentionally help in real, tangible ways.  I want to take seriously my place in the continuation of the total care of creation as God told us to (Genesis 1:29-30, ) and not be a selfish consumer. I am going to try to slow down and enjoy.  I am going to actually use my senses to guide me to a life of thankfulness-- and delight in the simple things and in the grand.


*Note:   I understand that other senses become more developed if certain ones were not developed from birth or after injury.  The stories of those who have been born without certain senses seen to have compensation in their other areas.  I think of the amazing talents of Stevie Wonder (blind) or Helen Keller (deaf and blind). I am mindful of my friends with disabilities who use their gifts and talents in amazing ways in life.  In no way do I want to limit this discussion but am simply reflecting on my personal place in life.


2 comments:

  1. Seeing the extraordinary in the ordinary: it's a gift!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So lovely! Beautifully written! My favorite sentence in this post is "I want to remember to turn my eyes to my children and deeply drink in who they are right now." That is exactly the mother that I pray I will be one day. I think that more parents need to get to know who their children really are as individuals, beyond just being their children, a part of the family unit and who they WANT their children to be. Recognizing individuality and being excited to discover who your child really is, deep inside, is probably one of the most important gifts that a parent can give to their child. Also, the "right now" is so important because who that child is right now will continue to develop, change, evolve, experience, journey, maybe digress or even hide. There is truly no time like the present. Change can happen in an instant. I've never regretted stopping to smell the roses. :) This post is a great reminder to take it all in!

    ReplyDelete