Tuesday, October 28, 2014

My Ongoing Recovery from HTSD (Halloween-Traumatic Stress Disorder)

In a former blog post Farewell to October- Some Thoughts Before Moving On, I talked about my feelings of blessings and feelings of tension during the month of October last year. In the blessing category was Anna's birthday, our family sense of humor, and the cooler temperatures in Nevada. In the tension category came "themed bikinis" and my HTSD (halloween-traumatic stress disorder). All of this led to some good discussion last year. Processing with others-- especially with humor-- is a great way to live life and can serve as encouragement to find a new way to journey. Some of this discussion has surfaced again. If you want the full context, I encourage to read last year's blog entry first.

My friend Kerryann reminded me of last year's conversation when she posted the first "themed bikini" costume advertisement on my Facebook wall this month. I had not even thought about this until she reminded me that we are in that season again. And there is was again! "Sexy Corn". Because nothing says sexy like a piece of corn. And this year's new "themed bikinis" are even more ridiculous. Seriously, how "sexy" is the character Olaf from Frozen? Cute, perhaps... and I really enjoyed his character in the movie.  But he is made of snow, sticks, coal and a carrot. And isn't Olaf a boy? So that would make him a sexy boy? Hmmm... There is the yuck of this all and the need for discussion on appropriateness, but there is the practical side too. Aren't fall temperatures cold in many locations in the USA?  I've seen the weather reports and many places have already gotten [gasp] snow! If the poor little children try these costumes out, they might freeze to death. So error on the side of caution and save the children! :) From the posts of my friends on social media this year, I know I am not alone in how I feel. Ok, enough of my rant... moving on.

What I really want to talk about is the progress I have made in redeeming this season. Last year I talked about finding a different way after having discussion with my daughter Anna (see former blog post). So instead of just gritting my teeth and trying to ignore the overwhelming display of evil or gore (HTSD (halloween-traumatic stress disorder), which I personally dislike; I decided that we would intentionally decorate for the fall season and find ways to celebrate it. We have been enjoying building our collection of fall-themed decorations and making the outside of our house look beautiful. It is a welcome relief to arrive at my home after having to drive through a neighborhood of dismembered limbs, cemetery signs, skeletons, and ghosts. I like my happy home, and I think it communicates accurately who I am and what I believe. We plan to add more decorations next year, but we are off to a good start!

Since the theme of my blog is being authentic... I wanted to give you an update on my progress of redeeming this season. More and more I am realizing how Jesus came to redeem us in all things- our hearts, minds, bodies and souls-- our relationships and emotions-- our past, present and future. He came to give us a new perspective for the way to live. He came to give us a fresh start. And for me, it is amazing how he has conquered evil and fear... and wants us to participate in helping set others free from this as well. Perhaps these fall themed decorations are a small and insignificant thing in view of the complexities and emotions we all deal with in our lives, but this small experiment showed me that I do indeed have choices should I choose to exercise them. And it has reminded me of the beauty of redemption.

  





"There is a time for everything, 

and everything on earth has its special season."

Ecclesiastes 3:1
NCV (New Century Version)

No comments:

Post a Comment