Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Farewell to October - Some Thoughts Before Moving On

I know it is now the beginning of November but I had a busy month of October and found that I was taking time to LIVE my life so I didn't have as much time to write. I have not gotten to blog in some time and as such, I wanted to catch up on some thoughts before I just let life roll on.

I love the month of October because it is my daughter's birth month and the occasion of my becoming a mommy for the first time. Both of my children are growing more and more into the people God has created them to be in wonderful ways that continually surprise me... and often leave me laughing. Both have a wonderful sense of humor. Anna recently went off on a humorous rant about dead chickens when she saw how El Pollo Loco prepares their food. It was stand up comedy worthy. Joshua had me laughing when he came downstairs one morning and said, "Ding, dong the wicked witch is dead." And then he looked at his sister and without missing a beat said, "Oh, I guess not." It was that time when you knew as a responsible mother you shouldn't be laughing and yet trying to tell him that it was inappropriate to talk like that. It is so fun to do life with them and enjoy their uniquenesses. If you know me, you know how much I love my family and feel so blessed. They bring out the best in me, challenge me to be better, and I can continually see God's grace in the fact that I haven't completely messed them up (I hope).

Fall is finally arriving here in Nevada and there is a definite change in the air. It is the welcome reprieve of cooler temps that we long for during the 115+degree blazing summer days. The change reminds me that there is rhythm to life--time is precious and there are seasons that come and go. I like the Fall and enjoy vibrant color displays on the trees. I like that kids get to dream about costumes and use their imaginations when dressing up for school celebrations and various community festivals. Friends and neighbors take nights of fun to socialize by hanging out with families at festivals and parks-- instead of being confined behind fortress walls.

And yet, as much as I try to glean the good stuff--as October comes to an end I am always relieved. I have to be honest. And here is why...

My daughter and I were walking through a costume store this past month while laughing together at the funny items on display in a few rows. Anna asked a clerk if they had any funny suspenders for her "nerd" costume and we were led RIGHT into the dreaded section I call "themed bikinis".  I mumbled under my breath and let out a big sigh. Perhaps these type of adult costumes have always existed, but I seem much more aware of them since I moved to the Las Vegas area and am trying to mentor a maturing young lady. In case you don't know what I am talking about, themed bikinis are costumes for women that seem to have a revealing top (micro in size) and matching bottoms that don't cover much. My husband keeps telling me he'd give me a thumbs up to try one out--I tell him "not a chance" and roll my eyes-- and we exchange a smirk. There was a cartoon going around this season that summed it up best and is EXACTLY how the display looked in one of the costume stores I visited. That was me this year-- with the big, shocked eyes. Yikes--really?

The other part of Halloween that wears on me is the overwhelming presence of evil. As Anna and I started to look for other costume items we found we had to fumble our way through the "gore" section.  It was disgusting and those were images I really don't want in my brain and memories. The worst thing is that it also makes me feel oppressed--evil clearly manifested. While I know that some find it fun--I personally hate the celebration of the gruesome.  Maybe like others who have experienced abuse, fear, anxiety, and other types of very real evil manifested in their lives --I don't think these feelings are fun and I make a choice to live in a way that leaves me healthy and whole--to be free and walk in the light. I try to avoid these triggers as best as I can and yet they are everywhere during this season!  While I can't control what others do, I can control what I look at or focus on.  So I try to look away and direct my thoughts elsewhere--I also try to avoid certain stores that are overwhelming. It is a relief when the Christmas decorations arrive on the shelves.

All this rattles around within me and has been something I continue to process year after year.

I remember my kids being 6 and 3 years old when my husband and I were discussing the "how" of participation for our family. This season offered invitations to pumpkin patches, harvest hoedowns at elementary school and church, and our small town hosted a storefront trick or treating day when families would go out and parade the costumes. It was a sweet time to be in community and walk around with my cuties.

Here is a photo from that season of life--weren't they just too darn cute! Time passes way too quickly and I would give anything to go back and live those moments again--more fully present and savor each special thing.  I am so thankful that I took some pictures. I hope you will take a moment to find your own favorite pics from when your loved ones were young and take some time enjoying the memories.


What I have come to realize is that the Fall season can be a great time to show hospitality and care for others. It is fun to host friends for supper and go walking in the nice weather as a large group. It can also be a great way to let your light shine for good-especially on Halloween.  Fun costumes make others laugh and give children cause to try out future career choices. Giving good quality candy can capture people's attention and you can bless each person at your door with a kind word or just a smile as a response to "trick-or-treat".

"Christ as Victor" or "Christ is Victorious" has come to serve as a central life theme during this season as there is great joy in celebrating Jesus' triumph over evil and our no need for fear.  It is amazing how many times the phrase "Do not be afraid" appears in Scripture.  One of my many favorites is from John 14:27-- Jesus says--“I leave you peace; my peace I give you. I do not give it to you as the world does. So don’t let your hearts be troubled or afraid." I am obviously still working this out in my life.  I give great credit to Dr. Scorgie, however, who was a former professor and provided our class with this article one October that opened up a new catalyst for processing. You can read it in full at this link.  Source Article

For me--I have come to realize that neither sticking my head in the sand nor over-emphasizing Halloween are options for me.  I realized that I need to redeem what I can and glean the gems out of every opportunity that exists in our culture--always processing how much of "in the world but not of the world" is wise and right. I began to face my fears and literally speak out loud "Christ is Victorious" anytime I encountered things that disturbed me or freaked me out. I actually did that while walking through the "yuck" part of that costume store and on Halloween night while encountering the "ick" while walking our neighborhood. I have also started to draw the sign of the cross on my hand or forehead with my finger--or make a cross across my body as a practical reminder that I am secure in Jesus and that I am God's child with nothing to fear. I normally say "Christ is Victorious" or "I am a child of God" while I do. I find it great to have a tangible way to get my mind off the bad stuff and to refocus on the good stuff.

Fall is a grand celebration of the harvest, changing seasons, and another year of God's provision. I am happy to now turn the calendar to November and begin the intentional focus on being thankful as the broader sense of celebrating the Fall season.  At the beginning of October, I decorated with pumpkins, fall colored leaves and flowers, and cute harvest scarecrows. Anna suggested that next year we decorate even more abundantly with the Fall theme since we don't do the scary-- I was already thinking the same way.  We have so much to celebrate--it's a choice on what we focus on.  I think that the way I want to live is by always redeeming the good.  And that ushers us right into Thanksgiving -- living a life of being thankful and having gratitude.  

   

No comments:

Post a Comment