Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Holding a Wounded Dove

It was a special day last week when I got to hold a dove in my hands. I didn't feel worthy to hold such a precious thing, especially so since I didn't know how it was wounded and knew it should be free.  

My son was supposed to come home with another family that we carpool with. It was getting later than usual for his return so I was wondering what they were doing. Turns out that they had discovered a dove on the ground. It was obviously hurt and my son refused to go home without it. So my friend, being the good mommy she is, called me and asked what I thought and told me she didn't have anything to transport it in. My sweet boy was asking to care for something he thought was important and special...so I found an empty shoe box and drove down to the park to meet them. 


When I arrived I found them huddled around the bird. I noticed that there was a foot hooked in the right wing so I untangled it. The bird did not flap its wings or try to fly away- it continued to lay there in the midst of the five of us. It was obviously weak, so the kids put some grass clippings and leaves in the box, then I scooped up the bird and placed it to rest inside. 

Back at home, Josh and I placed the box with the bird in the shade outside, but close to a window where we could monitor it. Josh asked me what we should name it. The first thing that came to mind was the story of Noah and how the dove came back with an olive branch (Genesis 8:8-12), so I said "Noah". There were other stories from the Bible involving doves that came to mind. Another story I quickly recalled was how the Spirit of God came from heaven in the form of a dove and descended on Jesus (Matthew 3:13-17) but I didn't think the name "Jesus" would be fitting for this dove. And somehow that just didn't seem right, so I just settled on Noah.


As I watched the dove in the box, my heart was softened and I had emotion towards the little thing. The eyes were open and looking, yet it did not seem to have fear. I wondered how long it had been wounded and if it needed water or food. So I made a little dish out of tinfoil and filled it with water. The kids had already crumbled up some crackers from their lunch boxes so I just opened a pea pod and added that to the mix. The bird didn't make a move to drink or eat. I figured it needed rest but wasn't sure if it just needed help in the weakened state. 
I scooped Noah up and cradled him in my hands. I gently dipped his beak in water and tried to make sure he had some moisture. He didn't flinch or try to flee. So I sat down on the grass and just held him. I had other things to do, but nothing seemed as important at the time as treasuring the moment. 

My daughter arrived home from school and came outside to ask me what I was doing. She asked if she could hold it--so I carefully transferred the bird into her cupped hands. We just sat and watched it. We stroked the feathers on the back and the head. The bird just sat quietly and looked at us. It looked tired and would sometimes close its eyes and lay its head down. The beak would open and close a little. Anna asked why it did that, but I said I didn't know. I had an idea but kept that within for the moment while hoping for the best.   

At some point the dove looked more "sleepy" and I thought it best to let it rest in the box. Anna transferred Noah back to me and I lovingly place it in the grassy nest inside the box. The dove's eyes closed more and the beak seemed to be opening and closing more--the breathing seemed labored. We left the dove alone but would all checked back on it and at some point when Josh returned, it was still. 


I told him I thought the bird had passed on. Josh asked if I was sure and was kind of quiet about it. I said I was pretty sure but we would need to just wait and see. He took a small stick and gently touched the dove to see if it would move. It did not. Both kids were solemn but Brian and I assured them that the dove had a peaceful and quiet place to be loved in the last hours of its earthly life. Brian said it was better than the bird being chased by kids or eaten by a dog (shocking thought). For the rest of the night and at bedtime, we reflected on the preciousness of life.  


The next morning Josh asked me to bury the dove in the backyard. After Josh was at school, Brian said we should just fling it over the back wall and let it be creature food (again, shocking thought). Josh had asked me to do something and I would keep my word. I dug a small hole near a shady bush in a spot that would not be disturbed. I once more held Noah the dove and laid him gently in the earth. I arranged his head so it was resting naturally and covered his body with dirt but paused before I covered his head. I said, "I'll see you again at Resurrection or when I arrive in Heaven." Then I softly put the soil over his head and arranged rocks over the spot. I selected a smooth flat rock and perched it on top.  


That afternoon I told the kids that I was thinking about the dove and wondered what it was doing. I knew it was alive in a different place. 
The bird left behind its earthly shell, but went on to live in newness. I wondered if we would see it again one day. Would it be sitting on heaven's gate and sing us a song? Would it be flying around and lead us to our first amazing audience with Jesus? I don't know but I hoped so.  

I have been thinking about this since it happened days ago and it still is emotional. Life is so precious and yet so temporary. 

"Yet you do not know what your life will be like tomorrow. 
You are just a vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes away."
James 4:14 NASB

Life is special but also so fragile. Life is to be lived well each day as if that day was a precious gift and may be your last. I will write more about my reflections about life and death in future blog posts. Meanwhile, my hope is that we will choose to live well today--to slow down, and treasure the precious moments that come into our lives.

"The Lord is gracious and compassionate, 
slow to anger and rich in love.  
The Lord is good to all;
he has compassion on all he has made."
Psalm 145:8-9 NIV/TNIV

No comments:

Post a Comment