Monday, April 30, 2018

Consider the Cactus....

It is spring in Nevada and a time when we celebrate the renewal of life... even in the desert.

It actually has been bursting with life for a few months now. Awareness of life here comes in waves and often in small packages. I wait in anticipation of this annual rhythm. First the plum trees erupt with the pink and white blossoms. That is always my first awakening that spring has come. It is a feeling of celebration and expectation. There may have been trees leafing out before this, but the plum blossoms usher in the upcoming season of delights. Next, the Texas Mountain Laurel display their purple blooms that smell like grape Kool-Aid of my childhood. I can usually smell them before I see them. Then, come the climbing roses in displays along or over garden walls. My neighbors happen to have Lady Banks roses in a soft yellow that I get to enjoy--both the flowers and the affirmation of my royal name, of course! Then come the jasmine with their delicate white flowers set against dark green leaves. The jasmine bring forth a soothing smell that wafts throughout the communities. They too can be smelled before they are seen.





And now is the time of the cacti. These seemingly dormant, slow growing, prickly plants sit most of the year in sandy soil amongst the rocks. They are at best ignored and more actively avoided in order to not get hurt by them. I was on a retreat hike in the beginning of April and got "bit" by a cactus on my left pointer finger. I ended up with an infection and 10 days of antibiotics. It is still healing.

But a cactus plant also has a secret. They have unrealized potential. It is not always known to the world but it is contained within.

At this season--this time of the year--they let us in on their secret. For inside the plant we often devalue are beautiful blooms waiting to happen. Each cactus contains inside a special gift of color and beauty that comes forth from the depth of the plant. And at this time of year we get to celebrate in amazement how this happens. They burst forth in colors of white, red, fuchsia, purple, yellow and orange. These gifts will be enjoyed for a short time and then shrivel up. The cactus will return to being a cactus for the rest of the year.




Observing the cacti has been a special thing for me. 
It is an extension of Jesus saying: "Consider the flowers" (Luke 12:27)--but flowers are only out for a brief time. To consider them really does make us slow down, observe them deeply, enjoy them fully, and to delight in how this happens.

A cactus plant also reminds me of myself. I can be prickly and slow growing. I am a work in process. I deal with things from past and present that can leave me feeling dry, isolated, and misunderstood. I can also feel at times like the rocks and dirt around me are tough places to dwell. I sometimes get so short-sighted that I forget that there is more happening.

Considering the cactus reminds me that there is so much more to the story of my life... and that of others. What we see on the outside is not the fullness of potential, truth, God's gifts given, or what the future will hold. God who loves us is working in us. The deep work we do to open all of ourselves to transformative relationship with the Triune God brings forth new life and new possibilities. The ground we think is dry and lifeless-- often is the place where we are sustained, supported, learn to mature, have time to process, have a place to rest, and open to receive what we need. These are the listening places and learning spaces of life. They can bring forth beautiful things in time. The slow growth we often don't notice actually does happen as we live each faithful day. We all contain within us so much more than meets the eye.
"The Lord doesn’t see things the way you see them. People judge by outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.” 1 Sam 16:7 NLT
Today, I invite you to get outside and consider the blooming cacti. If you don't have any around you, then enjoy the photos on this blog post that were taken in my friend's garden this week. I was so excited to receive her text yesterday and the first photo of the red/white cacti below-- plus her gracious invitation to come visit her garden on my next walk. Today as I took a morning walk again, I discovered that in only a day they had opened even more. I texted her and shared my discovery with my own photo attachment. She also had noticed before leaving to drop her daughter off at school and going to work. What a fun way to start our day.

I wonder what more Jesus has to teach us through this example of God's amazing creation.
Would love to hear any thoughts you have as you too consider the cactus.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment