Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Lent: the Impact of a Single Word, Verse, and Image

Like so many others, I am presently taking a journey during Lent. While doing so, I am reminded that I am walking with other Jesus-followers around the world. It helps connect me to the grand family of God. Each year my Lent practice has looked a little different. This year is no exception, and I am trying to lean in and open myself to the invitation.

Lent is a 40 day journey from Ash Wednesday to Easter (plus Sundays=46 days total). Interested in knowing more about this 40 day pattern? I invite you to read more [here] and [here]. Other helpful articles that aid in processing what Lent is and how to "do" it-- read entries by Eugene ChoTransforming Center or my former blog post Memento Mori: Remember You are Dust.

"Pauses for Lent: 40 Words for 40 Days" is a devotional book by author Trevor Hudson. Trevor is one of my instructors in my Fuller Theological Seminary Doctorate of Ministry Program in Spiritual Direction. I like Trevor... he is a warm, caring person. I have enjoyed learning from him by reading his books, in class teaching, and while continuing to process together. While there are many good Lent resources and devotionals, I chose this one because it is written in a simple form but deeply thoughtful. Each day's entry is only about 2-3 pages. About the book:
"Sometimes a pause is good for the soul. It gives us the chance to regroup, reflect, and refocus on God.
In Pauses for Lent, Trevor Hudson offers a beautifully minimalist book in which he focuses on one word for each day of Lent. You are invited to pause, focus on the word, read a scripture and a brief meditation related to the word, and then offer a prayer.
Pausing in this way will help you carve out time for God and refresh your spirit even in the midst of a busy life. You may find yourself sensing God's presence in a new way and discovering that God wants to meet you in the midst of your life as it is, muddles and all."
The book is available in various formats at Amazon, Upper Room Books, and other book sellers. I am using the Kindle version since I can easily pull it up on my various electronic devices and thus have no excuse for not reading it each day. Most of the time I view it on my iPhone the very first thing in the morning.
Here is how my journey looks:
I read the word of the day. I pause and think about that word and what it means. It is always a surprise to turn the page and discover the new word of the day. It jumps out at me from the top of the page. "Good morning!" 
Then I read the bible verse of the day. The first time I read the verse normally and just "fly over it". Then I read it again, slowly, and think about it more as I read. I notice who is speaking, what the key words are in the verse, and what am I to learn from it. Then I read it again, slowly, and just let it sink in. I normally also look it up in my bible so I can read it in context with the whole story it is part of. 
Next I read the devotional reading for the day. I read it once like in a normal reading. Just taking it in. Then I read it again, slowly, and focus on what is being said. I become aware of the places that "touch my heart" or create warmth within me. I pay attention to the places where I feel "pinches" and where there is opportunity to return to God. Then I read it again and soak it all in. 
I am talking to God along the way. I open myself to both speak to God and then to listen to the response. For me, it is helpful to do reflection and contemplation through journaling. I take this conversation with the Lord into a free form flow of words as I begin with "Good morning Lord" or "Dear Lord". I write out my thoughts, delights, questions, struggles, wonderings, and various other emotions. I write out my response to what I sense God is showing me and process my willingness to become open and/or obedient to that. We hang out together and talk like friends. 
An Image. An interesting thing for me this Lent season has been that an image has been coming to mind each day after reflection. It is just one image to go with the one word each day.
  •  Perhaps it is something that popped into mind when I was pondering the word of the day.
  • Or it might be a thought that comes to mind as I think about the bible verse.
  • Or it might be something that Trevor wrote about in the devotional section.
  • Perhaps it is a response to the invitation of doing the personal practice activity.
I try to be open to receive that and capture it for further reflection. I use my phone camera to photograph a version of that image in my mind. So far, I have been able to do this day-by-day. I don't force it or demand it. I don't worry about needing to produce something-- but simply receive it as a gift. 
I use that image as a screensaver on my phone's lock screen. Each time I go to use my phone (which seems to be a lot--and I am working on that proper rhythm in my life)- I see the image and it causes me to pause and reflect on the day's word, bible verse and message. It is a chance to remind myself that God is present and I take a moment to enjoy that... and to receive. I also print a copy of the photo image and put it in my journal. This provides opportunity to reflect throughout the day and into the evening before bed as I continue to call this day's word, verse and theme to mind, and respond to God's invitation in it.
Follow along day-by-day on social media if you would like.* I highly recommend you get a copy of the book though as it will greatly enhance the reflection process. Check out the introduction section in the beginning of the book for more information on Lent and suggestions on how to use the book. Trevor's way may be a little more simple than the way I have adapted it.
How would you like to open yourself to Jesus during this season? 
What creative ways would you like to use? 
What ways would you like to take time for pausing and pondering in your journey with Jesus at this season? 
-----

These are the current images up to this point.





Bonus image Day 2- end of day reflection













*          *          *

*I decided to share these images about the key word of the day on social media--mostly for my own accountability. I post to Twitter first and tag the author, Trevor Hudson @trevor040451, and the publisher, Upper Room Books, @URBooks. Follow Trevor if you'd like to join the daily discussion. You are also welcome to follow me on Twitter @EllysiaBanks. Check out @URBooks for their offerings of other materials. 

[Note: My accounts on Facebook and Instagram are private so if you would like to follow along that way, please send me a message if you request. That way I will know who you are and why you are asking. Sorry if I don't always accept new requests.]

2 comments:

  1. This is beautiful. Thoughtful. Just can't say enough good things. Thank you for sharing your journey. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda... so glad to "meet" you as someone who shares the heart for creativity, God's grace and living into who God wants you to be. Blessings my sister! And for continued encouragement you may enjoy reading this: http://www.thehighcalling.org/articles/essay/cultivating-faith-work-artist
      I think we are on the right track! Keep creating with The Creator.

      Delete