Thursday, December 5, 2013

Striving for a Fresh Perspective of the Christmas Story

I took time to intentionally think about the Christmas story this week after reading it from Luke 2 and Matthew 1. I was also prompted to ponder after taking this Christmas IQ Quiz and processing the answer page that was available. Great discussion and it always surprises me how much tradition/interpretation gets mixed in compared to what is actually recorded in the Bible.  

I let myself journey back to the setting of ancient Israel and a very pregnant Mary who traveled with Joseph from Nazareth to Bethlehem along rocky roads.  The trip took them 80 miles south and probably through Samaria--a place where Jews and Samaritans did not like each other. Bandits and wild animals attacked travelers who were often journeying on foot-- and maybe also with they help of donkeys or carts.  

Mary was probably only a young teenager when this all happened. It is thought that Joseph was much older. They both received a visit from an angel to help them understand their favored status and purpose (Luke 1:26-38 and Matthew 1:18-25). It was a epic leap of faith for both of them. They must have had great fear because both receive comfort from their visiting angels that said "Do not be afraid" (Luke 1:30 and Matthew 1:20). And the encouragement coupled with their favor from God resulted in action. They put their faith into action by both yielding their lives, futures and their concerns to God in obedience. Wow... what amazing people of true faith and demonstration of their love of God. 

     Mary- "I am the Lord's servant--May it be to me according to your word." Luke 1:38
Joseph- "He did what the angel of the Lord had commanded him..."  Matthew 1:24

They lived in a country occupied by a foreign government that ruled over the native people. They were probably already poor and incurred more burdensome costs when dislocated due to this pressure of people in power. How much hardship they must have endured when forced to travel to participate in a mandatory event to count the number of people so Caesar would know how many he ruled over. Especially so since Mary was ready to give birth--not her most comfortable moment in life. 

And then when they arrived at their destination, the town was packed with other travelers and there were no available place for them to stay. No sympathy or preference given to Mary who was ready to give birth. No one came to their aid. No one gave up their homes or exchanged places in guest houses with them. No one helped them. The idea of an innkeeper comes from Christmas tradition, but no such character is found in the Bible text. It is implied that somehow Mary and Joseph found shelter fit for animals—most likely a cave in the rocky hillside. Luke 2:7 talks about Jesus in a manger--a feeding box/area for animals. Maybe there were animals present, maybe there wasn't... again, the Bible text doesn't say.  I imagine it must have been a humble and rough place to find oneself with a new born baby.  


I have heard the Christmas story spoken out loud and have read it myself from the Bible  many, many times. I realize that if I am not careful, I can let it become white noise. It helped to sit quietly and slow everything down. To take time to read slowly through the Bible passages and really think about how it would look like, sound like, smell like, and feel. I took time to deeply think about this whole story and wonder. 

I wondered...
  • I wondered how this first Christmas sounded in a town bursting with travelers from all over the country.  
  • How did the town even function when maxed out? If housing was not available, what about the basic necessities of food and areas for human waste?
  • I wonder how it all smelled near the manger location--it seems to be implied that the setting was amongst the very real stench and reality of a working barnyard--with or without animals present.
  • I wonder how it felt to the parents to arrive after a long journey and find themselves displaced without comfort and the offering of normal hospitality.
  • What does it mean that Jesus divine was born in this humble location and was willing to take on human form as precious newborn?  How does this communicate "Immanuel, God with us?" Matthew 1:23
  • What was Mary thinking and feeling when she gave birth in this setting and had to do so without the comfort of a mother, family or perhaps even the help of a midwife?  
  • How surprised were Mary and Joseph when the shepherds found them? 
  • What does it mean that the only people to share time and community with Mary and Joseph were shepherds--normally lonely people away by themselves in the countryside tending to flocks of sheep? 
  • Did they all recount their own experiences about their angelic visits? The shepherds were included in the intimate group with Mary and Joseph.  The shepherds had also experienced angelic visitors when first an angel spoke and then a sky full, a multitude (thousands) of angels delivering the most amazing birth announcement in human history? Luke 1:8-20 
  • What happened during that shepherd visit to the manger? How long did they stay? Did they just observe in awe and wonder...or was there a time of worshipping the Messiah?    
  • What happened after the shepherds spread the news to others and all were amazed? Luke 2:17-18, 20 

I could go on and on and on. I acknowledge that I haven't even touched on the journey of the Magi which is also fascinating.  

I have come to realize anew how so much of the reality of this story exists in the lives of people today. The oppressive governments, displacement of people, lack of economic resources, lack of help by others, lack of compassion given in time of need, and the discomfort/adjustments sometimes faced in seasons of life and faith in various ways. 

Yet, this opportunity to wonder and think has also filled me with such joy! How amazing that our Lord Jesus came to be with us and still is Immanuel--God with us today--and will continue to be so into the future. This is the gem of it all...relationship with God each and every day- now AND forever and ever.  
"Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent." John 17:3. 
Eternal life is relational and involves receiving this gift into our lives. It is not just about focusing on a someday change of our physical location (although the promise of heaven is still very valid--but I see that as icing on the cake).  

I want to be mindful to reflect on all of this often throughout the Christmas season. I pray that I do not let this become "just another story"or something that I gloss over—but I pray I will let it deeply impact me as I fully experience this precious season, and take each moment along the way to process all that it really means.  And I am expectant that with the help of God it will happen.  


An angel of the Lord spoke, 
"Do not be afraid.  I bring you good news of great joy for all the people.  Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord"!  Luke 2:10-11
A multitude of angels appeared with the angel praising God and saying, 
"Glory to God in the highest heaven, and on earth peace to those on who his favor rests." Luke 2:13-24 
*          *           *


Photo Credit:  All from Google Images

2 comments:

  1. Dear Ellysia
    I read this over and answered some of your questioning thoughts, but as my computer does funny things with Windows 8 on it , it lost a whole lot of explanation on some of your questioning thoughts. Especially about cattle barns and Shepherds and such. I was a farmer and was raised in a farming family and community, where we also, at times, slept in the barns with our cattle on fresh clean beddings of straw or hay. I will writ more later somehow, maybe by using a word document I won't loose what I wrote to you.

    I lost by brother this past week and laid him to rest this last Saturday afternoon. He went peacefully and without pain, and I thank GOD for his mercy and grace that was bestowed on both my brother and on our family.
    Praise God.
    Marve Heuser

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marve- Thank you for your response. I look forward to hearing your thoughts. I am sorry to hear about your brother, but glad to hear the evidence of God's mercy and grace. Peace be with you.

      Delete